Position Type: Local Volunteer Coordinator
Reports To: Technical Coordinator
Compensation: $500 per event
Over the Edge is a special events company that provides signature events for non-profit organizations throughout the United States, Canada, with emerging markets in Central and South America, along with other parts of the World. Participants raise donations for a non-profit in exchange for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to rappel Over The Edge of a local high-rise building.
Over The Edge’s Community Wide Celebration event is designed specifically for smaller markets with an emphasis on a connection to the local community. Over The Edge partners with Non-Profit Organizations (NPOs) that directly serve the community where the event is held. Over The Edge relies on the support of volunteers to make each event a success, is seeking to hire Local Volunteer Coordinators (LVCs) to lead the recruitment of local volunteers from each event community. Each LVC will also serve as an Over The Edge Rope Staff for rigging and the event itself.
LVCs may choose events in their region that they wish to work. Leading up to the event, the LVC will work alongside the Event Manager under the direction of the Technical Coordinator to recruit the required number of Rope Volunteers (RVs) for their event(s) The LVC is required to arrive on the event site with the Technical Staff the afternoon before event day for site set-up and rigging. On event day, the LVC will serve as the Staging or Training Manager under the direction of the Site Safety Supervisor (SSS).
Core Functions & Job Duties:
Admin and Management (60% of role):
- Email and Phone – Internal communications with the Over The Edge staff as well as external communications both with potential RVs and/or RV sources such as fire departments and climbing gyms. Some direct communication with the NPO partner(s) may be required
- Time Management and Planning – LVC must be able to self manage tasks in accordance with prescribed timelines as well as arriving on the event site on time and ready to work.
- Reporting and Analysis – Responsible for regular progress reports to the Technical Coordinator as well as some analysis of progress and trends as well as pre and post event reporting.
- Meetings – Periodic virtual meetings and supplemental trainings with Over The Edge and/or Event Staff. Potential in-person meetings to recruit RVs and/or RV Sources.
Travel (5% of role):
- Travel – This includes travel to and from meetings and events. LVC will be responsible for recording and reporting their role related travel. Travel outside of to and from events requires prior authorization from Technical Coordinator.
Technical (35% of role):
- LVC shall be responsible for serving as Over The Edge technical staff on the pre-event rigging day (up to 6 hours). LVC shall also serve as the event’s Staging or Training Manager or in another technical role during the event at the direction of the SSS (up to 12 hours).
Core Competencies & Skills:
- A firm understanding of the Over The Edge and RV responsibilities
- Firm understanding of the Over The Edge way and culture
- Possess verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to serve in the role of a Training or Staging Manager
- Persistent and self-motivated
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to autonomously make decisions and be accountable.
- Ability to effectively manage own schedule and adapt to changing expectations.
- Ability to find creative solutions to client issues in a timely manner
Qualifications & Experience:
- Ability to self manage in a home office setting
- Phone, email and social media competency
- Some Computer literacy including but not limited to downloading documents, emailing, web docs, watching videos/Power Point online, attending online meetings and training
- Ability to work alone or as a member of a team
- Ability to work directly with all Over The Edge event stakeholders
- Remotely work from home and in the local event community
- Part-time consultant style work designed to provide additional income while performing administrative work during your down-time.
- Event work in a technical/industrial setting